We got 6 Jobs that came open on Black Friday in the NFL.
Here are my rankings on the worst- to the best job.
Out: Greg Schiano
In: Lovie Smith
1. This team is screwed. You play Ryan, Newton and Brees 6 times a year. Good luck with that.
2. The Bucs have about 10M under the cap, so thankfully Josh Freeman didn’t take all that space.
3. The Bucs were dead last on offense, so there is no way to go but up. They will have a full year under Mike Glennon, and Doug Martin is coming back. Carl Nicks can’t be this bad, can he?
4. The Bucs have had a VERY young team for years, that is not becoming the case anymore, and quite a few of those players are no longer rookies or second year players- yet there are not exactly a ton of diamonds in the rough discovered.
Out: Mike Shanahan
Not stunned by this firing. Either RG3 or Mike had to go, you don’t fire the face of the franchise, and you can’t get rid of a player you dropped that much for.
1. Unlimited funds. If Snyder can spend a dime, he will, on the flip side, if he can make a dime, he will. But Snyder is many things, but cheap is not one of them.
2. RG3 is paid for. Finally.
3. The Redskins do have some talent, they have quality skill position players, Brian Orakpo leads a below average defense. This team has playoff talent, but in additon to Orakpo, they have Josh Wilson, DeAngelo Hall, Perry Riley looking for new deals, and London Fletcher to replace already. They are going to have to decide on what to do with Santana Moss.
4. They should have about 20 million in cap room.
5. They have the 34th overall pick, and Kirk Cousins, there should be several teams in the 14-25 range that could be willing to swap for that package.
Out:: Leslie Frazier
1. The Vikings have a TON of talent, but the big issue here is they have a lot of OLD talent.
2. The 3 new rookie first rounders were a bit mixed. Sharrif Floyd did not get on the field much, only starting one game, and only 19 tackles. Xavier Rhodes wasn’t much better but he started 6 games, with 0 picks. Cordarrelle Patterson had the best year of the bunch, with 45 catches for 469 yards and 9TDs, but had a great year in the return game. Again, none exactly played like first rounders, but they were rookies- not everyone can blow up like Randy Moss
3. Who is the QB? The Vikings had so many QBs on the Roster even John Gruden was looking to cut someone.
4. Peterson was a monster, but the time of a running back dragging a bad team deep in the playoffs might be ending forever.
5. Minny has 13 million in cap room, so Jared Allen is NOT going to kill them in dead money.
1. You have a GM with experience, and he isn’t scared to make a move. Witness the Trent dumping. 2. The Browns are as unstable a franchise as it gets. Look how long the other coaches have been around in the NFC North, and see how many coaches the Browns have had. Maybe this time they give the new guy a chance, since the owner has legal issues to deal with.
3. The reason why I love this job? Cap space. The only big free agents are center Alex Mack and safety T.J. Ward, who should be come back with good deals- and the Browns have 38 Million to play with. You want to look at a team to overpay Greg Hardy? Right here people. Lombardi is smart though, so it might not be too stupid. That is just unreal to have that much to play with.
4. Joe Thomas, Hayden and Gribbs can start for any team in the NFL. To be this bad this long, thats nice to know what you have. It must be nice to walk in the door and know I have a LT, CB1, WR1 that are rock solid.
5. Look who is in a contract year: Cornerbacks Joe Haden and Buster Skrine, defensive linemen Phil Taylor and Ahtyba Rubin, linebacker Jabaal Sheard, tight end Jordan Cameron and safety Tashaun Gipso. All are above average, and if the Browns can change the atmosphere, they might be able to keep them all without overpaying.
6. Remember that Kirk Cousins and #34 deal I talked about? If the Colts end up with the 25-28th pick, I could see that as a good deal, plus flipping the Redskins a conditional 3 or 4 in the deal. Get an IMPACT guy with the #4, and it could be game on, unless they take Teddy Ballgame there, if he falls.
Out: Jim Schwartz
I’m frankly stunned he made it past last year. He needed to go. The Lions simply have too much talent to be this bad.
1. The big question is what to do with Stafford. I am reminded of the Niners when Joe Montana was out. You had 2 Steves play QB. One of them was Bono, who went 5-1 and looked like a world beater, much better than the other Steve- who only went 5-5. The Niners chose to go with the one with the .500 record, traded Montana and kept Rice happy. I don’t know if Stafford is Bono or Young.
2. Suh is due, but is he worth the trouble? I would say yes, but if the new coach has any power, he may be on a short leash.
3. There is a TON of talent here, but of all the teams, this team needs the right hire.
4. This team is already over the cap for 2014, so there won’t be a lot of wiggle room to play with.
5. Calvin Johnson hasn’t snapped. Thats the best news for Lions fans.
So the BEST JOB out there . . .
Out: Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips
1. I got the FIRST overall pick, last time that happened, they blew off the local Hero, and the Heisman trophy winner- and got the best pick in the top 3.
2. JJ Watt. While not the inhuman he was in 2012, he is still a scary MFer going forward.
3. You have Andre Johnson.
4. Coming back from IR: Brian Cushing, Arian Foster, Owen Daniels, Ben Tate. Those 4 guys should make the job even easier than having the number 1 pick will. The Texans had SIXTEEN guys ending the year on injured reserve.
5. Look at this ->
6. The Texans got SQUAT from the 2013 draft, and I mean SQUAT. So this draft has to be better, right?
7. I can auction off the number 1 pick to someone that has to have Clowney, or Teddy Ballgame or Mr A&M.
8. The only real negative on the Texans job is I have like 4M in cap room, and I have to bring back Cushing. I almost have to dump Schaub at this point, do I want to roll the dice with a rookie or roll with Yates? Good luck with that.
Tiny URL for this post: